On 17-Oct-2010, at 11:54 AM, "Mahesh T. Pai" <paiva...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anupam Jain said on Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 05:09:38AM +0000,:
>
>> How is the brand of my cellphone relevant? If you are questioning
>> my loyalty to free software, rest assured sir, I'm as much holding
>> my breath for a mukt cellphone platform as anyone else on this
>> mailing list.
>
> Brand ain't; but the software is.

I think it doesn't make that much sense to just blindly promote free
software. If proprietary software does the job better  than free
software in some areas, and the user gets more value (as perceived by
him/her), then instead of patronising  free software like a freedom
movement, the parties writing the free software alternatives should
try making their software better and give more value than the
proprietary products.

Again this is not a black and white thing. I may choose to use free
software for some applications where it clearly excels and outbeats
proprietary software and still use the proprietary software where
there's no good free / open source software for my needs. I may be a
complete linux freak and still be an iPhone/Blackberry user. It
shouldn't be criticised against and if it should then please explain
why.

Sent from my iPhone