On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 2:07 AM, Sirtaj Singh Kang <sir...@sirtaj.net>wrote:

> On 08-Nov-10, at 4:16 PM, Sirtaj Singh Kang wrote:
> [snip]
>

>> I'd like some assistance in understanding the relationship between the
>> size of an LVM2 logical volume and ext3.
>>

> While nobody appears to have an answer to my question (if a good answer
> exists)

I think nobody is here to teach you, but as far as it is concerned to solve
any problem, i have already answered you.

> , I did some more hunting. For those who are interested, this blog post is
> worth a look:
>

> http://www.lisnichenko.com/articles/ext3-file-system-overhead-disclosed-part-2.html

Very good article. Again i would say there is nothing special in this
article. If you know little bit mathematics basics of file system you can
perform it. For more detail on this topic i would prefer you to take a look
at book "Operating System Concept by Galvin". You would definitely like it
and probably you would find the remedy.

> Unfortunately it doesn't address my specific situation, ie it doesn't
> explain what happens during resize, but it's still a useful summary.
>
> Look there is nothing special in this. Operating Systems has a very special
algorithm to handle resizing of file systems which take care of files
written in the it.
Think of it once that how do we access any file on the disk?
Every file system has a link associated with the file to access it, more
likely the info about the files in a file system is stored in a table.
Nowadays dynamic file systems are also in use(/proc directory in Unix and
Linux), but we should talk on general scenarios here.
A file system is devided in smaller unit called block, particularly ext3 has
the block size of 4kb.
When we perform resizing OS first look in the file system table and then
perform the resizing operation. It does not gurantees for the protection of
data, however.
It was a brief of file system resizing, but it has a lot more to think and
discuss upon. I would suggest you to read that book.
And yes don't get confuse between LVM and et3 these are two different things
and are controlled by each other.

> -Taj.

Regards
RAKESH
"Allow Your Own Inner Light to Guide You"