2010/11/13 Raj Mathur (राज माथुर) <r...@linux-delhi.org>

> On Saturday 13 Nov 2010, Rakesh Kumar wrote:
> > I think nobody is here to teach you, but as far as it is concerned to
> > solve any problem, i have already answered you.
>
> With all due respect, you haven't.  Taj asked a very specific question:
>
> > If I want to grow an ext3 fs by size X in mb, how do I calculate the
> > size Y by which I have to first resize the LVM volume on which it
> > resides? Most sources I've read online say something like "make it a
> > little bigger just to be safe" but I'm hoping there is a better and
> > more accurate formula than that.
>
> I haven't seen an answer on this list so far.  And if Taj, with his
> gazillions of years of experience, can't come up with an answer, I doubt
> if there are too many people on this list with the necessary technical
> qualifications who can.  I know I certainly can't.  I was hoping one of
> the deep-dive and/or broad implementation experience types like Ashish
> or Karanbir would have an idea, but given their lack of response, I
> assume they're as clueless as the rest of us on this matter.

I don't know about the "gazillions of years of experience" for anyone but my
work that i have done on Linux. And there are some very experienced person
on this list but this doesn't mean that a concept will be changed.
I think if someone is not able to answer, he/she shouldn't post unnecessary
replies IMHO.

> Please note that "read up on OS theory" and "read up on LVM
> fundamentals", while useful in themselves, are no use in closing the
> issue that was raised.  He wanted a formula.  He has not got a formula.
> End of story.

I have only suggested him to read the concepts from the book(if available)
and was not intended to finish this. This is a very useful book and an
internationally accepted book.

> Regards,
>
> -- Raju
> --
> Raj Mathur                r...@kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/
>       GPG: 78D4 FC67 367F 40E2 0DD5  0FEF C968 D0EF CC68 D17F
> PsyTrance & Chill: http://schizoid.in/   ||   It is the mind that moves

Sorry if i couldn't explain the topic but i was only intended help him to
find the exact formula. Because i as much i have experienced, i never found
any error in LVM even i have never used any formula.

--
Regards
RAKESH