On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 5:15 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-li...@karan.org> wrote:
> On 11/18/2010 07:41 PM, A. Mani wrote:
>>>
>> epub is a Xhtml + XML based format meant specifically for ebooks.
>
> you are still talking about the storage format, and not the delivery
> mechanism. Blind people, afaik, dont give a rat's ass as to what or how the
> content is stored. Its the delivery in such situations that makes it
> relevant.
>
> the point you made is that epub would convert better into braile or even
> text-to-speach, as compared to any other format. I'm just asking you how you
> got to that result.

It is very structured (see specs) and uses less markup.

It manages TOC in a efficient way through NCX. ... In readers this is
important for speed.

Text to speech would be more dependent on the ability of the external
s/w used. The safest thing to convert is plain text.
At least that is what most of manuals/books say.

>> Editing : pdf, djvu are not meant for this.
>> Size: epub is better than others
>> lines can be wrapped in epub but not in pdfs/djvu ... this is
>> important for reading the same document on other readers/pc
>
> Atleast the publishing, media and newsprint industry would disagree with you
> on being able to edit or change column width in pdf files :) You can render
> pdf into raster files - but one would consider that for the target audience
> surely ?

That would mean more baggage. I would like to see a white paper/study on that.
Even Acrobat reader is not a very good tool for reading on screen ...
speed of auto-scroll cannot be controlled,
does not support wrap in any way.

Best

A. Mani

--