hi!

free advice 2:

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Gora Mohanty <g...@mimirtech.com> wrote:
> 2011/1/8 Raj Mathur (राज माथुर) <r...@linux-delhi.org>:
>> [Please send offers to me personally, not to the list]
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Dell Optiplex 380 (a fairly new model) which is having problems
>> with excessive hiss when recording.  Since I've tested without a mic and
>> still got the hiss, I've concluded that it's an ALSA problem.
> [...]
>
> Free advice: Once when I had this problem earlier, it turned
> out to be due to the fact that the "Mic Boost" was turned all
> the way up. alsamixer should show you that setting.

gora is correct.
also, have you tried to check the dell's internal circuitry is not
causing this problem?
depending on the level of hiss, here's a quick workaround:

1. ensure the recording has a few seconds of silence recorded: without
voice/music/whatever.
2. open audacity, select this portion, and through the filters menu,
look for the 'remove noise' option.
the first click will load this pattern as the 'hiss' that has to be elminated.
3. now select the entire track, and again go back to the same filter.
clicking it again will eliminate
the noise/hiss from the entire track.
4: optional: adjust the EQ to correct other possible problems with the
recording's balance of each channel,
add salt, pepper, oregano, and other seasonings to taste.

regards
niyam
> Regards,
> Gora