> 2. Not ALSA related, how about ditching ALSA and going with OSSv4[2] stack
>   which is also getting fairly good support, work great and its mixer is as
>   confusing/complex (or maybe more) as ALSA. And ofcourse it's licensed
> under
>   GPLv2 and BSDL, which makes it free software as well.

+1 . I also faced the same problem using Debian Squeeze, shifted to OSSv4,
turned the capture ( in Debian squeeze top panel left side sound control is
for sound capture control not for volume control  ) to mute , turned the
Digital-1 to full and everything started working fine , no hissing sound
whatsoever.

--
With Regards,
Gaurav Paliwal