On 03/30/2011 12:24 PM, Arun Khan <knu...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 12:10 AM, Vivek Kapoor<subs...@exain.com>  wrote:

2. Add a USB wifi dongle to it to make it as a wifi access point.

Please share the brand/model that you have used for above setup.   It
would be a more cost effective solution compared to the mini PCI card
with the Atheros chip set (TP-Link) that I have been considering.

You should be better with Atheros. It has worked for me too, though haven't used it for a good enough duration. But setup should be painless.

I won't be able to help in selecting a good USB dongle as I bought only one, and faced more than a few issues with it. The one that I have, and I won't recommend, is Linksys WUSB54GC v3, bought it for Rs. 2100 approx in late 2009 from Nehru Place. First inconvenience would be that you'll face severe driver related issues on anything prior to Ubuntu 10.04. Also, putting it into Master mode is not possible via iwconfig. You have to put it into Master mode only via hostapd. Then also, it's not guaranteed to work.

What I can suggest is, when you intend to purchase, maybe you can take a laptop with you and plug in the USB dongle. If it's atheros based, then you should be better. In fact you can try there itself doing
`iwconfig wlan0 mode Master`
where of course wlan0 is the wifi-usb interface.

Regards
Vivek Kapoor
http://exain.com