From: Rakesh Kumar <kumar3...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ilugd] Question about SWAP and tempfs
Date: Monday, April 25, 2011, 2:37 PM

[...]
On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Amit Sharma <amit_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Couple of questions:
>
> 1. SWAP partition must always be 2 x RAM? My machien has 48 GB RAM. I have
> to create 96GB SWAP partition? Isn't 4 GB or 8 GB good enough?

[...]
SWAP partition should be and not "must be" 2 x RAM. It's a rule of thumb
that you should have this much RAM. Your swap size depends upon the
applications you are gonna use. I agree with Ankit and would suggest that
8-10 GB swap is enough and keep monitoring it.
As i know modern kernels comes with a parameter *swappiness* and it's
parameters varies from 1 to 100. Higher values lead to more pages being
swapped, and lower values lead to more applications being kept in memory,
even if they are idle. By default it's set to 60(not sure) so you can change
it also to see if it fits you.

> 2. tempfs consumes half of RAM i.e. 24GB in my case as I have 48 GB of
> physical RAM installed. Can I reduce it to say 8GB? Can it be done? How? Is
> it recommended to reduce tempfs?

regards,
> Amit Sharma
>

> Thanks and Regards,