On Friday 27 May 2011, Vivek Kapoor wrote:
> On 05/27/2011 03:22 PM, Raj Mathur (राज माथुर) <r...@linux-delhi.org>
> wrote: <snip>
>
> > Mail sent to r...@bar.com reflects immediately in the user's
> > webmail, Outlook, couple of other mail clients AND his BB.
> >
> > Mail sent to r...@foo.com reflects immediately in the user's
> > webmail, Outlook, couple of other mail clients, but NOT his BB.
> > It may take anything from 15 seconds (acceptable) up to an hour
> > (definitely not acceptable) to reach his BB.
>
>  From one of your previous emails related to the scenario you
> mentioned above, I infer that you're using Courier. Also, you are
> using IMAP instead of POP3 since your r...@bar.com receives mail
> instantly.

That is correct.

> There's an IMAP feature called IDLE which enables detection of
> incoming emails. So, as soon as an email comes, the client is
> intimated instantly - provided the client understands IMAP IDLE.
> However, from my experience, Courier's implementation of IMAP IDLE
> is not optimum. I've seen that the client is IMAP IDLE capable, and
> is connected but Courier doesn't intimate the client when a new
> email comes.

I'd go with that, except for one datum: mail sent to the user's account
on the other domain on the same server reaches his BB immediately.

Figure that one out!

In the meantime I'll see if the service provider mentions IMAP IDLE in
their report.  If they do, will disable it altogether if possible --
what with all the custom scripting et al, it's going to be painful to
switch IMAP servers at this stage.  (Which reminds me, need to upload
those scripts somewhere.)

Worst case scenario, will recommend setting all BB accounts to POP3 -- I
presume that is possible?  Or do RIM/service provider decide which
protocol they will use on your behalf?

Regards,

-- Raj
--