On Wednesday 01 Jun 2011, Amar Akshat wrote:
> I support this, a policy can be put in place by the admins over this
> DL. Putting the name in a webpage (like a box of shame) also kind of
> discourages people to post in and join in.

How exactly does putting your name on a page if you insist on giving
your password away to an untrusted site prevent you from joining and
participating in a technical mailing list?  The two are completely
unrelated.

Site/address blacklists don't work, since there are so many sites
nowadays that ask you for your password it's impossible to keep track of
them.  On the other hand, if someone's volunteering to make such a
comprehensive blacklist AND maintain it on a regular basis, I'm sure the
list admin(s) can be persuaded to use those.

The Wiki page is not an official mailing list policy or an official
ILUGD initiative.  It's a user initiative, and updated by users.  If
your name is on that page and you don't want it there, all you need to
do is sign up on the Wiki (it's free and automatic), edit the page and
delete your name from there -- not exactly rocket science.

Finally, I'd be glad if someone took on the task of educating every
Internet user on how foolish and insecure it is to give your password
away to any site that asks for it.  Until that is done, however, shame
works as an excellent motivation to learn really fast.  Since that Wiki
page was started, the number of offences on this mailing list has gone
down by 64.729% (create your own statistics if you don't like mine :)

Regards,

-- Raj
--
Raj Mathur                r...@kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/