On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Ankit Chaturvedi <
ankit.chaturv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Anupam Jain <ajn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Hi all,
>>
>> I originally posted this question on
>> stackoverflow<
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6624622/what-happens-in-bash-when-you-do-ctrl-c-hint-its-not-simply-sending-a-sigint
>> >,
>>
>> but did not receive a satisfactory response. Any ideas?
>> <snip>
>>
> Heard of signal handlers? SIGINT (Ctrl-C) is trapped by libdpkg, which then
> performs cleanup and saves index state before exiting. apt-get is only a
> frontend for dpkg.

You are misunderstanding the question. I know that something (I guess dpkg)
catches the signal and then saves state. The question is why the same thing
would not happen when I send SIGINT manually.

The problem I am trying to solve is as follows - I would like to interrupt
the apt-get install process *from a script* and then have it resume again. I
assumed that sending a SIGINT would be exactly the same as a Ctrl-C.
Apparently it's not. Why?

-- AJ