> There is no program called `http' on a GNU/Linux system. What you have
> is one of those confounded members of the apt, dpkg & family has what
> they call 'method' to get the packages. If you configured your

I agree that it is part of apt but http is an elf, executable program
in itself. It is located in /usr/lib/apt/methods along with many
others like cdrom, ftp, and https.

> sources.list to fetch from a http server, it runs 'method http"; if it
> was ftp, they run 'method ftp'; and if you had specified cdrom, it
> will apply the method, "cdrom".

I believe that was obvious? Though the name might be a "method",
"http" is a binary and the apt-get program must be forking and then
running this binary (or using some similar method of invocation).

-- begin offtopic --
I tried "$ /usr/lib/apt/methods/http www.yahoo.com" but that didn't
seem to start fetching the file. As noted already, it's probably part
of the apt family and has it's own invocation method. apt developers
for some reason didn't want to use curl or wget. When I tested apt
earlier in the thread, I greped for were wget and curl (in ps) before
simply reading "ps ax". One reason for this could be that their http
gives them feedback which allows apt to show progress.
-- end offtopic --

> IMHO, you should raise this question in apt / dpkg developers' list. I

Agreed, somebody should ask there if they are still not convinced.

SB