<saurabh.j...@gmail.com>wrote:
> > Within the same LAN, it is legal.
> >
> > You can transfer incoming PSTN lines over IP to any point within
> > your network. You can even transfer over WAN to an office in
> > another SDCA.
> >
> > On the outbound front, you can't initiate a call using a PSTN port
> > in another SDCA. So, you can't use SIP over your WAN and use a
> > PSTN port in Bangalore to initiate a local call in Bangalore.
> > You'd have to use your local PSTN port and dial long distance to
> > Bangalore.
> >
> > The rules are easy to understand once you know the motivations of
> > the babus. Their corporate overlords told them IP calling should
> > not impact revenue. And so, anything that effects the revenue of
> > Airtel, BSNL, etc., is not allowed. That said, for incoming calls,
> > they don't care if you forward a PSTN call over IP - over a LAN,
> > or over WAN even internationally.
>
> As I understand, any kind of PSTN to VOIP connection is not allowed.
> (Without any official permission from DOT. That is given at very high
> fees)
>
> PSTN to PSTN, VOIP to VOIP is perfectly fine, both incoming or
> outgoing even internationally.
>
> Typical scenerio of the famous cheap VOIP boxes that has voip on one
> side and PSTN on other side (especially terminating to the EPABX)
> is not legal.

As Saurabh said, it's legal within the same LAN.  I have clients who get
calls over PSTN and terminate them internally to VoIP handsets and/or
soft phones.

You are correct too -- the primary motivation for the law (rule?) is to
prevent you from causing revenue loss to the telcos.  As long as you
don't bypass a PSTN leg by using VoIP, you're well within the law.

Fascinating how we can be denied access to technology and cheap
communications to protect a few.  AFAIR the law was brought into force
originally to protect VSNL's IDD business.  I guess if you raise any
voice against it now, the powers-that-be will raise the eternal spectre
of "national security" and squash reform like a bug.

Regards,

-- Raj
--
Raj Mathur                          || r...@kandalaya.org   || GPG: