On 12/29/2011 08:00 AM, Raj Mathur (राज माथुर) wrote:
On Thursday 29 Dec 2011, Sudhanwa Jogalekar wrote:
On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Saurabh Jain
<saurabh.j...@gmail.com>wrote:
Within the same LAN, it is legal.

You can transfer incoming PSTN lines over IP to any point within
your network. You can even transfer over WAN to an office in
another SDCA.

On the outbound front, you can't initiate a call using a PSTN port
in another SDCA. So, you can't use SIP over your WAN and use a
PSTN port in Bangalore to initiate a local call in Bangalore.
You'd have to use your local PSTN port and dial long distance to
Bangalore.

The rules are easy to understand once you know the motivations of
the babus. Their corporate overlords told them IP calling should
not impact revenue. And so, anything that effects the revenue of
Airtel, BSNL, etc., is not allowed. That said, for incoming calls,
they don't care if you forward a PSTN call over IP - over a LAN,
or over WAN even internationally.
As I understand, any kind of PSTN to VOIP connection is not allowed.
(Without any official permission from DOT. That is given at very high
fees)

PSTN to PSTN, VOIP to VOIP is perfectly fine, both incoming or
outgoing even internationally.

Typical scenerio of the famous cheap VOIP boxes that has voip on one
side and PSTN on other side (especially terminating to the EPABX)
is not legal.
As Saurabh said, it's legal within the same LAN.  I have clients who get
calls over PSTN and terminate them internally to VoIP handsets and/or
soft phones.

You are correct too -- the primary motivation for the law (rule?) is to
prevent you from causing revenue loss to the telcos.  As long as you
don't bypass a PSTN leg by using VoIP, you're well within the law.

Fascinating how we can be denied access to technology and cheap
communications to protect a few.  AFAIR the law was brought into force
originally to protect VSNL's IDD business.  I guess if you raise any
voice against it now, the powers-that-be will raise the eternal spectre
of "national security" and squash reform like a bug.

Hope, "Restrictions on Internet telephony removed by TRAI’s recommendations" of 2008 http://www.trai.gov.in/trai/upload/PressReleases/594/pr18aug08no70.pdf has enough of the information on VoIP.

Please note that I have no relations with political leaders and, or parties. just for a reference here at http://www.business-standard.com/india/storypage.php?autono=56629&tp=on is "BJP's IT Vision: ebanking for all, unrestricted VoIP, 12 mn rural IT jobs" of 2009; whether they will succeed, I indeed was in doubt :(

Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman
(http://werc.homelinux.net/contact/)