Hi,

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 11:38 PM, Gora Mohanty <g...@mimirtech.com> wrote:

> Have snipped much of your reply, but thank you very much.
> This is exactly the sort of feedback that I was looking for,
> and meshes in  very well with my initial thoughts.
>
> Could you explain further what FSMK is, and how we could
> benefit from their expertise?

Glad that the reply was useful.
FSMK or Free Software movement Karnataka[1] is  a non profit organization
trying to spread free software ideas to people from all parts of society
mainly in Karnataka. We do not have any permanent employees and the
volunteers are mainly either software professionals, academicians or
students in colleges. Community center is one chapter of FSMK where we try
to reach students from less privileged part of the society and teach them
to use computers completely on free software. Some more info about it here,
[2],[3].

Regarding LTSP in particular, it was one experiment that tried to utilize
few old donated systems while starting a new community center at FSMK's
office. I had tried it myself with the help of few others and hence I can
help you with whatever I learnt while implementing it. Apart from little
configuration tweaking for network setup, LTSP itself is very easy to
setup. This guide[4] is very good and explanatory.

Considering replies from others in this thread, it will be interesting to
setup LTSP based cluster with thin client being powered by Raspberry Pi. It
will make the whole setup very compact. However one problem with Raspberry
Pi in such setup is that if something in it gets faulty, I dont think it
can be repaired. But again considering the low cost of raspberry pi, you
can still try it out.

[1] - http://www.fsmk.org
[2] - http://www.gnu.org/education/edu-cases-india-ambedkar.html
[3] - http://slumdweller.wikispaces.com/