I was given a few iMacs a while ago by a friend who didn't want any of them because they were all somewhat problematic. I recently pulled them out again (I was able to use one of them with the exception of CDROM for a while). I was curious if anyone might have some clues to getting them to be functional again, as they seem to be mostly OK except for a few quirks.

The first is a Bondi 233 that worked fine until another friend decided to play around with it. Now it won't do anything but boot to the screen with the Apple logo and the animation winds away indefinitely. I tried booting from a CD (both OS 9 and X), but the machine just ignores it no matter what I try. I am not sure if this machine ever had the firmware updates (OF & CD) installed on it, either. Is this a normal occurrence, or could the CD have gone bad? If I recall, it worked fine most of the time, but occasionally it wouldn't show up at all when inserting a disc while in MacOS.

The second machine is a Tangerine 233, so I'm not sure if it was a FrankenMac or what. It runs fine, but needs an OS reload before I can part with it. I think the CD-ROM might be bad, but I'm not sure exactly how to even go about testing it or finding another one on the cheap. For that matter, are the tray load CDROM's problematic? I have another Bondi without a CDROM that boots to the question mark just fine.

The third is one of the infamous slot loader 350 machines. I think it has some of the symptoms of the video OS X loading errors, but it is inconclusive. There is no chime, but the system fires up and the light turns green. One time when I tried booting it, it actually acted as if it was loading the OS but still no chime or screen. I tried the sleep then wake trick to see if it would wake up with even distorted video, but no luck. Since it is a 350, there is no external video port which makes this one quite tricky.

I figure it probably won't involve that much trouble getting these machines running again, but I haven't done much iMac troubleshooting before so I'd rather check with the experts than reinvent the wheel.

Thanks,
-Chris