From: Jim Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: imac dv logic board upgrade
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 20:19:14 -0800

On Jan 4, 2006, at 1:06 PM, MaxTek wrote:

> Is it possible to take the logic board from a Graphite 600mhz iMac
> to use in
> a 400mhz iMac DV?

The swap is a simple remove and install operation. However, if you do
it as you suggest, you WILL fry your 600 MHz board by overheating it.
The 400 MHz Motorola cpu board and all IBM boards (some 500 MHz and
all 600-700 MHz) use a different perforated aluminum divider panel
with a different heat sink design and location. The cpu on the 400
MHz will not mate with the IBM 500-700 MHz heat sink; and vice versa
(including all 350 and 450 Motorola logic boards).

I'll say it another way: There are no issues with this swap, EXCEPT
you must use the correct divider panel with the correct heat sink for
the 600 MHz board. Make sure you get the divider panel that goes with
the logic board if you plan on a successful swap that will last
longer than a few minutes after first boot-up. In fact, see if the
seller will sell you the pair without first separating them. That
way, you leave the factory cpu/thermal tape/heat sink mating surfaces
untouched. Otherwise, get a new thermal tape before remating and
installing.

How do I know this? Been there, done that. Hate to see someone else
make the same learning mistake and fry a 600 MHz board.

-- Jim Scott