>Do you do this ethernet connection while the machines are both turned on, or
>while they are both turned off?

Makes no difference.

>Should you turn on file sharing before connecting the machines to one
>another?

Makes no difference.

>Does it matter whether the data which you wish to transfer is on the machine
>on which you turn file sharing on? Do you leave file sharing turned off on
>the other machine?

Makes no difference, although I've found, depending on what you want to
copy, that pushing the data works better than pulling the data. By this I
mean, turn on file sharing on the machine you want to copy TO, and then
start the copy on the machine you want to copy FROM. This really only
makes a difference when it comes to duplicating files that are in use, in
particular system related files. So if you plan to copy your OS 9 system
folder to the OS X machine, then start file sharing on OS X and mount it
on the OS 9 machine, then start the copy from the OS 9 machine.

>How, exactly, does one go about mounting the shared machine on the other
>one?

Control Panels (or System Prefs, depending on the OS version), use the
Sharing or File Sharing control panel. Turn on File Sharing. On the other
machine, for OS 9 go to the Choose, choose AppleShare, and mount the OS X
machine. If you are mounting on OS X instead, double click on the hard
drive icon, then click on the Network icon and navigate to the server.

>Does all this work in OS 9, OS X, or in both? Do both machines need to be
>operating either OS 9x or OS Xx?

Works in both OS versions, and they work with each other, so either
machine can be running either OS and it doesn't matter. You can mix and
match OS versions safely.

>Can you do the same procedure to move data from a Wallstreet II to a dual
>USB iBook G3?

Yes, same thing works with those machines. (I'm not 100% sure when apple
started making their ethernet ports auto sensing for crossover, but I
believe that model iBook will also do it. Worst case, if it doesn't, you
either need a crossover cable, or a hub between the machines)

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>