Hi folks,

I have a G3 iMac 400Mhz running 10.3.9. Recently I began to have trouble, apparently with the USB ports: nothing outright stopped working, but suddenly the USB printer (Epson 740) would take forever to print simple stuff, and I could barely run my USB scanner (a Canon N670U) at all -- I got many errors "could not communicate with scanner," had to try 10 times to scan something once, etc. Both of these peripherals had been in use for quite a while with the iMac with no issues at all, until recently.

Since I need to be able to print and scan, and in a few other ways was ready for an upgrade, I bought a refurbed G5 iMac and have moved my operations over to the new machine (and here I offer thanks to those listers who wrote in answer to my query on the iMac G5s). The printer and scanner are trouble free on the new iMac and all the other Macs in the house, but I would still like to get to the bottom of what is up with my USB ports on the G3. The USB ports both work fine when anything is plugged into them like a keyboard, mouse, or USB drive (I have a Sandisk 256 Mb USB Cruzer), it's just the printer and the scanner. Is this a familiar issue to anyone? Any info appreciated.

thanks,

Beverly

I had (have) a similar problem with my printer. It would take forever to print a simple page of text. Turns out that I have loaded the system 9 drivers, along with everything else. OS X uses GIMP for my Epson printer. Solution? Make sure I force quit Classic environment, so that the computer doesn't take forever trying to decide between OS 9 printer driver, and GIMP. Why don't I take the driver off? I still use it to print from some old software. I have an old Umax scanner which doesn't have OS X drivers, not even from Vuescan, so I must have Classic environment running to use it.
--
Terry McCune