d asked:

Did anything change between the time it was working well to when the problems appeared, e.g., new software installed or removed, physical things such as adding a USB hub, etc., or was everything untouched and it just spontaneously started getting flaky?

and Clark asked:

You had a keyboard, mouse, flash drive, printer and scanner, this implies at least the probability of a hub. Was there one? If so this would be my first suspect.

No hub, except the extra USB ports on my keyboard, and when I had trouble that was my first thought too, so as soon as I had trouble I tried running the printer and then the scanner in the one port on the iMac that didn't have the keyboard in it (I do have the mouse plugged into the kb, since the Cruzer will not run except on a machine port.) I also tried plugging the kb into the other port on the iMac, same results. I can't recall anything special with software either, maybe the update to 10.3.9? but I don't think it happened quickly after that either. Are there any updates or apps that might cause this that I might have forgotten?

thanks,

Beverly