Sorry to interrupt the top/bottom posting debate but . . .

I picked up from Freecycle an iMac DV (Snow 500MHz) that reportedly had OS X loaded but without the firmware update

The Machine will not boot - I get the 'thump' of the crt powering up but nothing else - the power switch led just flashes

The Apple family number on the base is the same as my iMac DV (Lime 400MHz) so I opened it up and looked for anything loose - nothing found but I noticed that the motherboard was almost the same so I put the board from the 500 into the 400. It booted!! About This Mac showed 500MHz and the 512MB that I'd moved from my 400. The original had 128MB. The HD from my 400 has 10.4 on it. After less than 5 mins it died and the only way to fire it up again is to remove the power cord

Does anyone know if I can resurrect this? It would be handy to have a 500MHz machine instead of a 400MHz one!!

TIA

Ian
--
Find a better way of life - www.marillion.com