On 4-Feb-06, at 1:09 AM, Kari Rasmason wrote:

How do you get rid of them?
In the address book select the name > click on edit > delete

Ummm ... if I may, I'd like to offer a slightly different answer.

When you select the "Previous Recipients" item under the Windows menu in Mail, and the window opens listing all these addresses, there are buttons at the bottom of the window titled, "Remove from list" and "Add to Address Book". If you see an entry which you don't want, you have to first click on it and then click on the "Remove from list" button.

The data contained in the "Previous Recipients" window includes columns for Name, Email Address, and Date Last Used. There is also a fourth item, which is a little icon which may or may not appear at the far left of each entry, and which I believe signifies that this item is ALSO found in your Address Book application.

Some of the entries in this window have an email address but no name. In most cases, those entries will probably not be in your Address Book. If you wanted to create an Address Book entry, you could click on these and then hit the "Add to Address Book" button. Presumably you would then want to look up that new entry in your Address Book and provide at least a Name to go along with the email address.

Now, the previous respondent's advice that you can get rid of entries by deleting them from the "address book" I think is actually an error. I suspect that they meant to say "In the "Previous Recipients" window, select the name > click on edit > delete" but even that is not quite correct because the Edit > Delete command is greyed out for this window. My point actually is just that deleting an address card from the Address Book application will not have any effect on the "Previous Recipients" window and is certainly not going to work for all the "Previous Recipients" entries which aren't in the Address Book to begin with.

I do agree with the original poster's comment that editing this list after using Mail for a few years and not realizing it was there is going to take me quite a while.

Oh, and I am using version 2.0.5 of Mail, under OS X 10.4.4. Possibly some of my observations are not valid for other versions of Mail.

Jim Foster
Canada