On Sep 6, 2008, at 1:10 PM, lrbarrios wrote:

> On Sep 6, 5:16 am, Charles Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Sep 6, 2008, at 2:09 AM, lrbarrios wrote:
>>

>>> I just connected the USB drive, with the new copy of 9.2.2 to the
>>> Graphite and see the same problem.  Option+Power On still only shows
>>> the OS 9 from the internal drive and nothing else.  Why doesn't it
>>> show the OS X that's also on the drive.
>>
>> Because the 'Initial Pre-Boot' system that is running doesn't find a
>> 'bootable OSX' to show u.
>
> But that's where I'm confused...  When I had the internal OS X set as
> the Startup Disk and did a Option+Power On with the USB drive attached
> (after making the SuperDuper! clone to the 'Graphite' partition), it
> used to show both OS Xes.  I even booted OS X from the USB drive this
> way (although not entirely successful).

I too have booted an OSX system from a USB drive, on a MDD yet, but
haven't taken the time to determine just what the conditions are that
allow such a, supposedly impossible thing, to happen. [Would be real
handy, if it could be counted on to work every time.]

>   The only change from when the
> internal OS X worked and doesn't was after I dragged the backup copy
> of the Bondi's OS 9.2.2 to the same volume (myDrive) and ran Startup
> Disk

That's your "No, No" --- OS9's "Startup Disk" is not set up to handle
booting OSX. There is something that it doesn't get right. Apple has
a 'Revised/ Updated' version of 'Startup Disk' available on their
Downloads site. It'll take you a bit of looking to find it though.

My 'FIX' for this particular 'Gotcha' [on Beige G3 -> G4], was to use
'XpostFacto'. Running it will show you all available OSX instances,
and allow you to get to them (boot).

> to boot to the OS 9.2.2.  Now that OS9 is doing the, as you call
> it, 'Initial Pre-Boot', it won't show the 'valid' OS X on the internal
> hard drive or the 'valid' OS X on the USB drive.

That's the difference!!!  I've never worked out the exact details,
but evidently the 'Pre-Boot' routines, (which are working from the
'Open Firmware' [in OSX it's referred to as 'Boot ROM Version']) do
different things if the normal (most recent) booting is OS9, or OSX.

That's why my previous instructions to get to OS9, specified a 'Reset
PRAM' step.
That get's things 'Back to Square One'. I.E. it's going to start out
with NO preconceived notions as to what may be there to find.

The 'Initial'/ 'From the Factory'/ expected situation does NOT seem
to know about OSX at all. [Not that hard to understand, OSX was a
ways off in the future when those systems were new.]

Chuck D.