Dan

As a Mac user and a graphic designer, I despise Publisher, not only
for being a M$ product and for being a very lame excuse for a DTP
program.

It's like Word with a few extensions and extra tool bars.

Simon

On 2 Dec 2008, at 20:49, Dan wrote:

> At 5:27 PM -0800 11/30/2008, Bill Spencer wrote:
>> I am just dipping my toe into the waters and am wondering if there's
>> a viable equivalent to MS Publisher out there?
>
> There are quite a few page layout apps available.  Which you use
> depends on your needs, of course.
>
>> As far as I can tell MS does not make a Mac version,
>
> *COUGH*
>
>> and in an admittedly quick look at Versiontracker I did not see
>> anything comparable. Any thoughts or
>> suggestions welcome. As usual my thanks in advance!
>
> Again, it depends on your actual needs.
>
> My housemates use MS Publisher on a PC to do a pretty bi-monthly
> newsletter and an annual yearbook for their RV group.  Nothing they
> do cannot be done in AppleWorks.  Pages would work too.  They use
> Publisher because he's a PC person and this is her way of getting him
> to Do Stuff instead of play Spider all day.  (that's gotta be the
> greatest justification I've ever heard for using MS products!  ow.
> my brain hurts now).
>
> Ok, I take that back.  There are things they can do in Publisher that
> don't happen on a Mac.  Publisher looses data, photo resolution,
> formatting, and crashes arbitrarily -- totally corrupting the .pub
> file.  Never had that happen in AppleWorks.  So I guess that's a joy
> we've just missed ...
>
> - Dan.
> --
> - Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth

--- http://www.simonroyal.co.uk and http://www.nmug.org.uk
--- sent from my PowerBook G4 867Mhz, 768MB RAM, Mac OSX 10.5