Dan

I use high end / high price products. I use them because of the
features that aren't in cheaper products. Do I fall into that 1%.

I think that is pretty low, what about all the designers who use
Adobe, Quark, Microsoft products, like myself, most of which are Mac
users.

I do agree a lot of people buy expensive products without realising
there are cheaper or free alternatives that would suit their needs.

I wrote an article on Office Suites for LowEndMac pointing out this
very idea.

http://lowendmac.com/ed/royal/08sr/free-office-alternatives.html

If you need the features in high end software then go for it, but you
should check out free or cheaper alternatives - they may suit your
needs and save you money.

Simon

On 2 Dec 2008, at 21:49, Dan wrote:

> At 1:07 PM -0800 12/2/2008, MIKO's Support, Design and Development
> Services wrote:
>>
>> Apple provides Pages with iWork.  Pages works great for me!
>> iWork is not very expensive.
>>
>> Adobe provides the VERY expensive inDesign.
>
> SOP in any market, although Adobe makes it worse.  Most people that
> buy those high-end / expensive products use only those features that
> would be found in the less expensive products.  Those markets depends
> on the supidity of their customers to survive.
>
> There are a few people, probably 1% of the market, that actually
> use/need the "advanced" features.  Of course, if the market was
> actually targetted to just them, they'd never buy the software as it
> would cost 10billion quatloos per copy at those volumes.
>
> MS Word vs AppleWorks, heck... MS Word vs TeachText is a great
> example.
>
> heh.  I ran into an interesting marketing coup the other day.  A new
> Mac user that was perfectly happy with the cheaper product, MS Works
> (not sure of the product name) on his Windoze laptop, absolutely
> insisted the only equivalent was full-on MS Office ($400 ?) on his
> new Mac.  He was SHOCKED to see what Pages and *cough* NeoOffice
> could do.
>
> - Dan.
> --
> - Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth

--- http://www.simonroyal.co.uk and http://www.nmug.org.uk
--- sent from my PowerBook G4 867Mhz, 768MB RAM, Mac OSX 10.5