Peter

The Tangerine iMac with a slot drive is the batch of models prior to
the Ruby you have. I see no reason why it shouldn't play DVDs.

Like I said I had a Snow version and it came with a DVD and played
them fine. It must have the same video card as your Ruby so I don't
see a problem.

Both the Tangerine and Ruby have 4MB 2x AGP graphics cards.

Simon