Amanda

I bought an Intel iMac 17" 1.83Ghz when the first came out and it came
with 512MB of RAM (running Tiger), the jump to 1GB made a massive
improvement. The move from 1GB to 2GB was also noticeable. I would
recommend upping from 1GB to 2GB especially under Leopard.

Intel Macs  can run Tiger, but you need an Intel version of Tiger.

A Leopard DVD will install on either PowerPC or Intel machine. Tiger
however requires specific discs depending on the architecture you are
using. All retail versions of Tiger prior to 10.4.4 were PowerPC only.
After 10.4.4 you can install them on either architecture (someone
correct me if I am wrong).

Intel Macs use APM as a partition scheme but Intel use GUID as a
partitioning scheme. Therefore a Tiger/Leopard installation from a
PowerPC Mac will not boot an Intel Mac and visa versa.

If you require Tiger on an external, I suggest you find a retail
version of Tiger which is higher than 10.4.4 and install it on an
external drive with GUID partitioning.

Simon

On 9 Jan 2009, at 22:20, Amanda Ward wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I finally broke down and bought a new Mac. Okay... all the Macs I've
> bought have been new =to me=, but this one is like really new... I'm
> owner number one.
>
> It's the iMac 20" 2.4GHz model. I =really= want the 24" 3.06 GHz, but
> do I really NEED it. No prolly not.
> I'm a little amazed at the performance increase over my G4/1.6GHz.
> Gregory wasn't a slouch, but Irving (the iMac) just screams!
>
> He has 1GB ram... would increasing to 2GB show a significant
> performance boost? I don't do a lot of heavy graphics/video/audio
> work... mostly watching movies while working on an occasional
> spreadsheet.
>
> Lastly... can an Intel Mac boot Tiger... and do it from an external
> Firewire drive? I ask because I have a few apps that aren't upgraded
> for Leopard. On the G4 running 10.5 , I could boot from the external
> drive with 10.4 and run them.
>
> Thanks for any advice....
>
> Amanda

--- http://www.simonroyal.co.uk and http://www.nmug.org.uk
--- sent from my PowerBook G4 867Mhz, 768MB RAM, Mac OSX 10.5