On Jan 21, 8:29 pm, Steve from Raleigh <s...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> On Jan 20, 8:58 pm, William Spencer <wspen...@jhu.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hi there: I am seeing bottles of refill toner for laser cartridges
> > being offered, and would like to solicit views on how sensible a
> > route that might be, rather than try to find an increasingly rare
> > cartridge for my poor old Apple 12/640 PS. How feasible is it to put
> > new toner into old cartridges? Messy? Reliable? Complicated? Etc. etc.
>
> As you probably know, the Apple part number for that toner cartridge
> is M4683G/A, and using that or your model number, I found thousands of
> hits on Google for remanufactured/compatible cartridges, at least as
> low as $62+shipping (6,000 pages @ 5% coverage), and almost all of
> those I checked offered refilling.
>
> So, I don't think "rare" really applies, but you don't have the
> advantage my old Laserwriter Pro 630 has of having an HP equivalent.
> FYI, the other printers using your cartridge include: Xerox DocuPrint
> P12, GCC Elite 12/1200N,12/600,1212, IBM 4312, IBM Network Printer 12,
> and NEC Superscript 1260,1260N.
>
> BTW, believe it or not, toner is considered a toxic material and you
> need to take special care not to breathe in any of that fine
> polystyrene powder if you do undertake refilling yourself--and follow
> your communities' rules on disposal of "household toxic waste."

Oh, I know there are cartridges out there, but if $62 plus shipping is
the "low" price that is still mighty steep for me. That's why I'm
wondering about buying the toner by itself. I have always understood
that it's messy stuff, which is another reason I'm asking...how simple
is the process of refilling and how tidy is it possible to be. Ink
cartridges are one thing, but laser seems like a totally different
kettle of fish. And I also have this notion (who knows where I got it)
that the cartridge itself begins to wear after a while and I wonder if
refilling one is worth it if the wear level is such that using a
refilled one could affect print quality.

Thanks! Bill