On Jan 21, 2009, at 7:55 PM, Bill Spencer wrote:

> Oh, I know there are cartridges out there, but if $62 plus shipping is
> the "low" price that is still mighty steep for me. That's why I'm
> wondering about buying the toner by itself. I have always understood
> that it's messy stuff, which is another reason I'm asking...how simple
> is the process of refilling and how tidy is it possible to be.

Toner is a superfine black powdered plastic designed to pick up static
charges and stick tightly to any surface it's exposed to.

We've had a variety of printers and copiers that required adding toner
from bottles and at best it's a messy experience; these were with
systems made to contain the toner powder.

All it takes is one mishap and you're finding toner in the cracks for
years.

All it takes is one leaky cartridge in your printer to require a $150
service call to disassemble and clean it. Filling your own cartridges
is a false economy, imo.

Another reason I stick with HP printers: consumables are cheap and
readily available.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona