Updates given below (and inline). Thanks for your response. As usual, it
keeps me straight with those logical questions.

Tried to replicate tonight, and my suspicion is that because I
tried/experimented with https://mail.google.com (Gmail is now reverted to
http://...) it may have screwed things up. I'll keep on trying, but all is
well now - hallelujah.

Regards, Naftali