On Sep 2, 2009, at 11:00 AM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

On Sep 1, 2009, at 6:19 PM, Clark Martin wrote:

>> Here's what I want to do:
>> Move OS 9 apps Adobe Illustrator 8.0, Adobe PhotoShop 5.0, and if
>> possible, QuarkExpress 4.0 onto my Intel iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo with
>> 2G's of RAM and a 298GB hard drive. I may want to move some fonts
>> over
>> as well. Is it even possible to do this?
>
> With regard to the Adobe apps in particular check them to see if they
> are Carbon apps.  I got the whole set of Adobe apps from a Client
> because they had bought the new versions to use with OS X.  Well it
> turned out the old versions were Carbon so they worked natively in X
> (as
> well as OS 9).
>
> They will be running under Rosetta but they won't need something like
> sheep shaver to run.

Early Adobe Carbon-based apps (like Illustrator 10 and Photoshop 7)
stopped working with the advent of 10.5. Adobe can force upgrades as
well as Apple can :-/

Adobe Creative Suite 3 was the first Universal version of Adobe's
products. I believe CReative Suite 2 will run in 10.6, CS1 (which
included Illustrator 11 and PS 7) will not.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

A list of what runs under SL is here: