Hi, My ol' G4 20" iMac has been collecting dust as family members seem
to prefer the convenience of laptops. My wife suddenly wants to load
up her iPod Touch with tunes she had on the old iMac, but I'm getting
an "infinite" blue screen  when I try to boot it up. Perhaps the
internal HD is fried. If the internal battery is dead, could that
cause it not to boot?
Anyway, I was hoping to boot the machine up with an external HD (an
old clone of the internal HD has some of the tunes she wants) but
haven't been successful. So:
What are the appropriate key combinations to get a booting iMac to
find an external HD and boot from that? Are either FW or USB
appropriate?
Thanks -- it's terrible forgetting basic troubleshooting techniques!
Patrick