Patrick,

G4 Macs can be booted from an external FW drive, but not USB.
Theoretically, it's possible to bypass that limitation by pressing
"Option" during boot time and choosing the USB drive, but that has
never worked for me.

If the internal drive is gone, the iMac will search for a bootable
volume and will boot directly from the FW. If that doesn't happen, try
the "Option" key routine. You could also use a utility like Disk
Warrior to find out if the internal HDD can be saved --I have seen it
work miracles. (Of course, once a HDD is really dead, it's bye-bye
time.)

Hope it helps.

Felix