At 12:23 PM -0800 1/24/2010, Amanda Ward wrote:
I upgraded the 160GB SATA drive in my G5 iMac (first gen) with a Seagate 500GB/7200 drive. After installing the new drive, I noticed the old one had a jumper to force a 1.5GB transfer mode. I didn't put this jumper on the new drive. Everything seems to be working okay. Could this cause any problems down the road?

SATA is supposed to auto-negotiate the speed. There are some crapola interfaces around that fail to do so properly (let's face it, there is a reason some cards are cheap cheap cheap). So drive manufacturers included a mechanism to let you nail the speed down... Macs, using a built-in interface, should never have this problem.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.