On 25 Jan 2010, at 23:31, Nat Hall wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't have any external drives to test with...

I did some reading online last night after posting that message on the G5 logic
board problems and it said bulging capacitors is a dead giveaway of the
syndrome. Sure enough-- I have plenty that are bulging, some have even burst
out the top. I guess it's safe to assume this is probably the cause of my
problems. So.... three logic boards down in less than 5 years. Is this a
typical track record for these machines? I may attempt to fix this one rather
than seeking another replacement though, I've done my share of soldering on old
compact Macs in past years...

Nat

My G5 2.1 isight iMac died just before Christmas. This model is not supposed to
suffer from the capacitor problem however after stripping it down it is plain
to see that every capacitor on the logic board has been replaced already before
shipment from Apple. This must have been a rush job by barely trained operators
there is evidence of overheated irons and slip marks on the board. There is at
first sight only one cap that has blown its top and the others do not look
swollen so I am hopeful that I only need replace this one.
I have the parts and will be giving it a go this week.
Wish me luck

John