I've done it. I wouldn't recommend it though. Its very very slow. I needed
to install OS 9 on my Mac. I didn't have a CD that would work so I used
SheepShaver(a PowerMac emulator) to install on the USB stick. Then held down
option, if I remember correctly, and it showed up in the boot selector. If
you are trying to do a CD you need to lock the volume. The mac os installer
at least uses that to check whether its on the original cd or not.