On Mar 10, 2010, at 2:47 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2010, at 3:40 PM, Elliott Price wrote:
>
>> I think my backup drive that I've been using as a TM drive (An Iomega eGo
>> drive) screwed up something in my main hard drive's system;
>
> No. a TM volume is just another USB or Firewire removable drive, and cannot
> affect your hard drive in that fashion. Time Machine itself is a file-level
> program, and so can only access volumes, not devices, mucking about with the
> boot partition is a device-level thing.

I really don't know that much about file systems, devices, and volume stuff...

>> I have the problem where my boot partition shows up as EFI boot in firmware,
>> and recently, whenever it was plugged in, I would have strange problems that
>> cleared up the instant I unplugged it. (Such as system processes with DEV in
>> the name taking up 99% of my CPU power....) Needless to say, I haven't
>> backed up for a few weeks. :P
>

> 'the problem' indicates this is a known issue?

I've heard other people say that their HD showed up as EFI boot... I forget why
they said that happens.

> My suggestion would be to boot from your OS disk, and use Disk Utility to
> check it's SMART status and run a repair pass on it.

I've already run: Disk utility's permissions repair, repair disk, Disk Warrior,
FSCK, reset P-ram. (on my internal HD.)
I just completely reinstalled my OS & wiped my HD when I upgraded to Snow
Leopard about 5-6 months ago, or whenever it came out.

> If it's ok, re-partition, and reformat your hard drive, re-install the OS and
> use your backup drive to restore.
>
> I'd also be on the lookout for a new drive; because these kinds of issues are
> often early warning signs of impending drive failure, SMART reported good or
> not.  Very typically after an incident like this, the SMART errors will start
> appearing.

I replaced the HD recently, last summer, with a 500Gb drive; so I don't think
it's the drive itself, I'm pretty sure it's my system. When booted on my other
smaller partition, everything works fine, and it shows up as a boot device in
the firmware, instead of EFI boot. (I haven't tried hooking up my external
drive while booted on this partition)

I have no idea how or why, but whenever that Iomega drive is hooked up, I have
troubles with sleeping, waking, system crashes, etc. that all go away when I
unplug it.

        -Elliott Price

Quoit - Macintosh Computer Services
hobbittech.com/quoit