If it's already running OSX, there's no need to partition the HD. Only the very early G3 Macs had the issue where you had to install OSX within the first 8Gb of the drive. I don't think that that model had that restriction; and if you have an HD that's under 8Gb, there's nothing to worry about. It sounds like the best text editor would be Word X, part of Office X. (I think it was the '01? '03? version? It's the first Office version that ran under OSX.) I *believe* that will run under 10.1... Maybe someone else knows for sure? Word's more powerful then Textedit, and is 100% compatible with Word (even '07) on a PC. You could also try an older version of Appleworks, it has a text editor, and was "universal", so it would run under both OS9 and OSX. You might consider upgrading to 10.2; 10.2 was really the first really stable version of OSX, and is more compatible if you want to run useful apps. You can check on the LEM swap, eBay, or Craigslist for old versions of Office, AppleWorks, or 10.2

        -Elliott