On Jun 21, 2010, at 12:12 PM, Elliott wrote:

> I've done a lot of googling, and I can't find anything related to this
> problem with an eMac:
> When you turn it on, it beeps 5 times, then flashes the power LED 5
> times, pause, 5 times. The fan comes on, but the display never does. I
> tried a different RAM module, in both RAM slots with the same result.
> There is no HD in it currently.
> Is this what happens when the caps go bad? Would replacing them help,
> or is the logicboard already damaged?

A quick Google for "eMac error beeps" coughed up this URL:

<http://www.welovemacs.com/whdoallthbme.html>

Here's the relevant information you are seeking. It could be that your
processor died, or it could be that you have the dreaded bad capacitor problem
which very well could be why you're getting the error code. So you might have a
perfectly good cpu.

-- Jim Scott

Quoted from the We Love Macs web site:

"What do all those "beeps mean at start up?

"Products introduced after October, 1999 use a revised set of power on
self-test beeps during startup.

"The power on self-test resides in the ROM of the computer. This test runs
whenever the computer is turned on after being fully shut down (the power-on
self-test does not run if the computer is only restarted).

"If a fault is detected during the test, you will not hear a normal startup
chime. Instead, the system will beep as explained below.

"If you experience one of these beeps, you may call your Apple Authorized
Service Provider for additional troubleshooting assistance.

"1 beep = no RAM installed

"2 beeps = incompatible RAM types

"3 beeps = no good banks

"4 beeps = no good boot images in the boot ROM (and/or bad sys config block)

"5 beeps = processor is not usable

"In addition to the beeps, on some computers the power LED will flash a
corresponding number of times plus one. The LED will repeat the sequence after
approximately a 5-second pause. The tones are only played once.

"Note: In this case, a flash is considered to be 1/4 second or 250 ms or
greater in length."