> I just got my hands on a salvageable eMac from school.
> It’s got a 1.25ghz G4 and a 40gb hdd.
> I replaced the damaged CD drive with my own DVD drive and now I’ve got a few
> questions:
> 1: does it take any DDR ram or do I need special ram?

It does take DDR RAM, but just with any other machine, you'll have to make sure
you install the right type. Here's what OWC offers:
http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?sort=pop&model=199&type=Memory&TI=1150&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades

> 2: Is the eMac painted the same way as a G3 iBook (500+mhz) or is the whole
> case white?

The whole case is white.

> 3: will a non-Apple branded DVD drive be able to be used to boot a Leopard
> disk?

I've got a Pioneer-branded drive that I installed myself in the eMac currently.
I've installed operating systems and burnt DVDs—even though it's not the
default drive, it works like a charm.

> And finally:
> How do I eject the cd tray through OSx without a keyboard? I don’t have a Mac
> keyboard yet and so I don’t have the eject key.

Hold down the left-click button (or just the button) on your mouse and the CD
will eject.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your new eMac!

Isaac