At 2:29 PM -0500 8/6/2010, Aidan Prendergast wrote:
[1 GHz iMac G4, OS X 10.4.11]

I bought a Hitachi X250 USB drive, partitioned it into 2 partitions in disk utility. Gave each a name and then started to clone my main hard drive to one. Several minutes later the I-mac ejected the drives and does not recognize the USB drive anymore.

"started to clone" ... using CarbonCopyCloner? Check its log for errors. Also check the system.log for errors.

Reboot, launch Console.app and set it to view the system.log. Then plug in the external drive, and observe what messages are thrown into Console's window.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.