Hi Stanton,

Glad you're enjoying your grandchildren!

There are actually several workarounds for that.

1) You could share your MacBook's connection with an ethernet cable,
which is not hard to set up at all. The instructions are in your Mac's
help section.

2) Depending on how far is the router from the computer, you could use
a long ethernet cable to connect both of them.

3) You could get a USB wireless adapter. They are inexpensive and easy
to find these days. The LEM list and eBay are two good sources. It
won't be very fast, since it's limited by the USB 1.1 interface, but
that iMac is not exactly a speed demon, anyway.

4) If you want to keep the iMac offline (understandable, since it's
meant for children), you can simply look for the updates in Apple's
website, burn them to a CD, and then install them in order. They are
all here: http://www.apple.com/support/tiger/

Whichever way you choose to go, I'm with Bob --you'll need more
memory. As a habit, I max out my computers' RAM as soon as I get them,
or at least get as much RAM as I can afford. You'll be surprised how
much aggravation you'll save yourself in the long run.

Oh, and whatever you do --get them Myst. :-)

Best of luck,

Felix