Alexander,

You have not been shafted, just misinformed. You cannot install Ubuntu
on an external HDD, and to install it on an internal you have to
format it in a special way. I am not sure what the process is if you
want it to coexist with a Bootcamp Windows installation, but you can
search the Ubuntu documentation and/or forums, and find out.

Or you can save yourself the aggravation and install Ubuntu and/or
Windows virtually using VirtualBox (free), VMWare Fusion, or Parallels
--these last two are paid apps. I think there is another
virtualization program, but can't remember.

Best of luck,

Felix