That's true. I just got my newest vintage Mac, a PowerBook G3 Wallstreet, a few
days ago, and despite it being 12 years old the battery still lasts about three
hours. Now, I know that certainly isn't the norm, but considering that the rest
of my family's laptop batteries (HP, Toshiba, and Sony) don't last more than a
few minutes (and haven't since they were less than a year old, even though they
were used very lightly), it really says something about the quality that goes
into Apple's computers. All of my vintage laptop batteries work for at least
half an hour or more, the newest from 2003 (a 17" PowerBook battery that lasts
more than 2 hours) and the oldest from 1992 (a PowerBook Duo battery that
probably lasts 45 minutes, tops). If Apple can make batteries that last almost
twenty years, why can't PC makers make any that last more than six months?

Of course, one possible answer could be that most of those vintage PowerBooks
were once top of the line expensive computers while my family usually buys
budget PC laptops, but I'm pretty sure my sister's VAIO cost more than my iBook
G4, and the only thing the battery on that computer is capable of is keeping it
in sleep mode for a short time while mine still lasted about 2 hours or so
until the iBook's logic board failed (and the VAIO is at least three years
newer than the iBook).

Sorry for the rant...

Steven