On Sep 26, 2010, at 2:23 PM, Tina K. wrote:

The issue I have with digital files is that regardless of the media you store them on, be it a HDD or flash drive, both of which are subject to magnetic damage; or writable optical media, which seem to degrade simply by existing; they are subject to deterioration over time. A bit gets flipped here and there eventually resulting in discernible damage to the file. Enough bits get flipped and the file becomes useless.

It's too bad MO (magneto-optical) drives didn't take off. Unfortunately, Zip and Jaz were more popular in the US. But regardless of medium, the solution is to keep multiple copies.

In nine years of computing I've had several files, mostly text and image files, that have mysteriously become unreadable. Given time it's likely that I will encounter a video file that has become corrupt and is no longer usable. If I originally purchased the data on a pressed, not burned, optical disk I can make another copy. If I purchased the data as a download then I have to hope that the vendor will let me re-download it. However I don't trust the vendors to do what I consider to be the right thing and pass on a perceived opportunity to make additional profit.

As well you shouldn't. I suggest avoiding all forms of DRM (that haven't been cracked) to whatever extent possible.

That is why I prefer pressed CDs and DVDs. Yes they are subject to damage but they don't spontaneously degrade, at least they shouldn't in my lifetime.

I originally avoided the iTunes store due to DRM. After that ceased to be an issue, I realized I'd rather pay extra for full CD quality.

Sorry Steve (Jobs), I think you are wrong.

For many, it will be good enough.

Josh