On Oct 8, 2010, at 11:27 AM, Jonathan wrote:

As a Systems Engineer, I kinda have to call things by their name,
dodads or thingamy wont cut it in the industry lol!

Perhaps such haphazard namings could be called 'neologisms'.  :-)

My colleague seems to think that now my main computer is a mac, I
should know it inside out in 2 months. Not a chance.

Prior experience with Unix, Mac OS, and/or NeXTStep are all helpful.