On Oct 30, 2010, at 1:44 PM, Ashgrove wrote:

> My oldest Mac is a PDQ Wallstreet. It's over 12 years old, yet it can
> run Tiger (I mostly run OS 9 on it, though). And it's amazingly,
> completely usable. You can surf the Web (kudos to Cameron's Classilla
> here), send emails, work, watch movies, listen to music... And it's
> perfectly ergonomic for writing, in a way that no newer computer is:
> the height, the curvy topcase, the peerless keyboard...

I recently got a PDQ (although for me it is the newest in my old mac
collection) and I was amazed at how useful it is. All of my old Mac laptops are
usable for certain things, and my PowerBook 3400c almost approaches being
useful as an everyday laptop if it weren't for the low resolution screen and
slow processor. The PDQ, on the other hand, can handle many things, like basic
web browsing, iTunes, QuickTime videos, and even competent multimedia editing
when using old versions of photoshop or iMovie. I've been using it to take
notes in college, since the lack of wireless capability reduces potential
distractions and most of the time I don't need my PowerBook G4 in class.

I'm a big believer in the usefulness of old computers. My PowerBook 145b has
one of the most comfortable laptop keyboards I have ever used, and my Apple //c
has taught me more about programming than any modern tutorials, though Basic is
certainly not as useful as some of the more modern languages.

Steven