On Nov 9, 2010, at 8:22 AM, Ramon Tate wrote:

> Hi, all,
> I have a somewhat esoteric problem and need some advice on how to do handle
> it. I'm still using a 1GHz/1Gbyte PPC eMac running Mac OS 10.2.8 for much of
> my work and now need to move to 10.4.11 to accommodate a new application that
> requires it.
>
> The problem arises thus: some time ago I bought and installed 10.4 on an
> external Firewire drive and have been booting and using it for the occasional
> applications that required 10.4. Now I need to merge the large amount of
> 10.2.8 data - and applications - that I've accumulated with the 10.4.11
> system into a single system.

If the bulk of your data is on the 10.2.8 system, do an 'Archive and Install'
of 10.4 on the internal drive. (this is reachable via the 'Option' menu in the
10.4 installer after you've selected the volume to install it on.) this will
deal with all the email, safari bookmarks, etc etc,as well as the differing
versions of the OS X apps between 10.2 and 10.4.

Then update the new 10.4 system before you do any merging of data bwteen the
two 10.4 systems (internal and external)

Then, once the new system is up and running, you can use Carbon Copy Cloner and
move JUST the user files and applications from the external drive. You'll need
to do a fair bit of setup with CCC, though, you need to determine if, for
example the user prefs files on the external drive are the ones you want to
keep, or not, it may even be an issue of copying stuff manually.

Merging two systems is a PITA no matter how you do it, and usually comes down
to staring at two Finder windows dragging items from one to the other as you go
through the files by hand.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona