On Thursday, November 11, 2010, at 03:08 AM, imaclist+nore...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Topic: Moving an eMac from 10.2.8 to 10.4.11

Walter Sheluk <wshe...@shaw.ca> Nov 09 10:11AM -0700 ^

On 10-11-09 10:01 AM, Ashgrove wrote:
>> Merging two systems is a PITA no matter how you do it, and usually comes down to staring at two Finder windows dragging items from one to the other as you go through the files by hand.
Can that be done with the Library, System, Users folders ?

You anticipated my next question very nicely, Walter. Mail can at least be exported/imported more or less successfully (although it doesn't really give you an exact replica of the source tree structure, I believe). What about merging iTunes and bringing over users? Migration Assistant is/was supposed to know how to do that, but I'm not sure if it has the selectivity to allow the amount of picking and choosing I would like.

Finally, what about users with the same name? I know that since Mac OS uses the Unix scheme of totally unique ID generation for each user instance, it would seem that I shouldn't have any users on the target with the same names as those on the source system. Also, I would like to avoid migrating applications en masse and would rather do that manually.

And thanks again, everyone, for all the excellent advice.