On Jan 19, 2011, at 10:00 AM, Walter Sheluk wrote:

> I have become less paranoid about doing back ups such as the old advice of
> mailing a back up copy to a friend or burying a copy in the backwoods. ;-) If
>  something goes wrong these days  ido an archival install, apply a combo
> update from a DVD copy plus any other Software updates Apple finds.

The 'mail a backup copy to a friend or bury in the backwoods' is not for
restore purposes, but disaster recovery purposes. The best, most meticulously
tested and verified backups in the world do you no good if they burn up in the
same house fire as your computer. :-)

Software is replaceable; data is not. photo and video projects (particularly if
they're your business, paying hobby or juniors first steps) are not
reproducible in most cases.

This is something we have to keep and update plans for here at the College: we
literally have to plan for 'What would we do if the whole building burned
down'; 'what would we do if a pandemic was declared and the UA Shut down'
(we're associated with the University Medical Center so pandemic planning is
something we're deeply involved in). We have ALWAYS rotated one full set of
backups off site.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona